EzzyBills User Guide
- Show All Articles ( 14 ) Collapse Articles
- Show All Articles ( 7 ) Collapse Articles
- Show All Articles ( 8 ) Collapse Articles
07. Item invoices to Xero
Item invoices (or stock invoices) in Xero are invoices that have “item” codes. With “item” codes, Xero manages your inventory. EzzyBills supports item/stock invoices.
I. EzzyBills Settings for Item Codes
You will need to enable the EzzyBills Setting below, in order for us to extract item codes for you.
- login to EzzyBills, go to Settings > Advanced Options, then click to turn on the setting “Allow Stock Invoices“. Click Save Settings.
- Ticket “Guess Item Code” if you item codes are different from your suppliers’. This way, we will use description matching. Description matching is to match line description from the invoice to the “Item Name” field in Xero. Make sure your description matches closely to the description on the invoices.
- If you want EzzyBills to create new item codes, use “AUTO” for “Default Item Code“.
II. How does it work?
With “Allow Stock Invoices” ticked and saved, when an invoice is sent to EzzyBills for processing, we extract the “item code” and “description” for each line of the invoice. For each line item on the invoice,
- If the item code on the invoice file exists in your Xero account, we will export this item code into Xero.
- If the item code on the invoice file does not exist in your Xero account, we will look for a matching item code in your Xero based on the description – namely “fuzzy item code” . If the fuzzy item code is found, we will export it to Xero; otherwise, the item code will be left empty when exporting to Xero.
- For any new item codes, you will need to create them first in your Xero before uploading the bills. It is because that, by default, EzzyBills does not create new item codes (or, you can enable EzzyBills to create new item codes: use “AUTO” for the “Default Item Code” setting – screenshot above).
[Screenshot 1: item codes exported to Xero when they exist in Xero]
[Screenshot 2: Fuzzy Item code matching – when item codes on the invoices are different from what is in Xero, EzzyBills finds item codes through description matching.]
III. Tips to tidy up your item codes in Xero
In order to take advantage of automatic data entry for line items and item codes, you may want to tie up your item codes in Xero. Use the tips below.
- If you want us to use item code matching: the item codes need to be an exact match.
- If you need us to match by description: you will need to keep item description similar to these on the invoice – don’t combine/split words, don’t use word variation (keep the same short-name)
- Important Note: from Xero, we extract the item description from the field of “Purchases Description“. If this field is empty, we will use “Item Name” in Xero for matching. See screenshot here
- After you make changes in Xero, if you need to upload bills immediately, please login to EzzyBills, click Settings, click “Refresh/Learn” before the upload. (Otherwise, we will reload new Xero data once a week.)
IV. What if item codes are not extracted from a bill?
This may happen for bills only from some specific vendors. It may happen when it is not clear which column of invoice data contains item code. Or, perhaps item codes are within the description on the invoice.
- Follow the link here to trouble shoot issues related to items extraction, or
- Email to email@example.com, referencing the DocID number. Then we will look into it and customize the extraction for you.
V. Item codes “Purchase Account” in Xero
If you set the default Purchase Account in Xero, for the item code. We will use it.
(screenshot below: Xero item code editing)
(screenshot below: exported bill by EzzyBills)